Thursday, June 11, 2009

forgiveness

Have you ever forgiven someone or said you've forgiven someone, but you no longer want anything to do with them? Have you forgiven someone over and over for the same thing? As a matter of fact, 271 times they've done this to you; you're keeping count! Have you ever said,"forget it. That's enough. I'm done with them"? I have.

I was reading The Lord's Prayer the other day. Did you realize Matthew 6:12 says, "forgive us our debts (sins, trespasses) as we forgive our debtors (those who sin/trespass against us)"? Forgive us AS we forgive. AS we forgive. We're asking God to forgive us AS we forgive others. I've said, "I forgive them, but I want nothing more to do with them." Do I want God to have nothing more to do with me? I've said, "they've done this over and over again. I've had enough." Do I want God to quit forgiving me for the same sin I commit over and over again? Just as others have their weak area of behavior, so do I. I'm no different than them. I may think I am. I may think my sin is better than theirs. Not quite as bad. But, really, my sin is no different. Sin doesn't come in levels. Sin is sin.

Read further in Matthew to verses 14,15 - "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." IF you DO NOT forgive, God WILL NOT forgive...

If I cannot let go, He will not let go. I cannot/will not live without Him. Forgiveness is a choice.

I am humbled. My attitude was wrong. The protective walls I place around myself so I'm not hurt by that person are really not so protective. As a matter of fact, they're quite damaging. They keep me from experiencing true forgiveness, both in extending my forgiveness to that person, and in receiving God's forgiveness. Forgiveness doesn't mean the perpetrator goes free, it means I, the forgiver, am set free. For with unforgiveness, I'm choosing to hold onto a hurt, which brings in bitterness and offense. Have you ever held onto offense? I have. I don't like it. It's heavy. It makes me unhappy. It makes me mean. I become very critical. When I am that way, I don't like myself very much. I don't want to live in bitterness, I want to live in betterness. God will justly deal with those who cause the pain. In forgiving, I'm letting go and leaving it to Him.

Forgiveness is an act of the will and heart. A conscious decision. Forgiveness molds me to the very character of God. Isn't that what I want? Forgiveness chooses to forgive even before the offense has been done. Isn't that what Jesus did when He went to the cross? What does Jesus expect from us when He says, "follow me"?

No comments:

Post a Comment